Monday, September 05, 2005

the wrath of Katrina

Lately I haven't been able to watch the news as much, and until yesterday, I had no idea how devastating the hurricane actually was. I have been reading some online news articles about the devestation, and it's sureal to me. New Orleans is literally under water with thousands expected to be dead. There's no power, water, or food to many of the small communities in the south, and some of the refugees are dehydrated, and sick. A one year-old baby died the other day due to heat exhaustion. Dysintary is now sitting in, in some small communities due to raw sewage and rotting corpses the hurricane has left behind. Rescuers are searching house by house for any survivors, and and to dispose of the bodies. I know there are a number of relief efforts helping in the south right now, and they are doing all they can, but I just wonder if it's enough. It's so weird to me that we have a disaster of this magnatude in our own country. It's so nieve of me to think this only happens in other places, and that we are exempt from catastrophical disasters. I think we as Americans are all reeling from this, and I just pray to God these people will be alright. I hope they can rebuild their lives, and their homes, and busineses. I hope New Orleans will once again be a lively city, full of energy and life, a city which so many people have come to love. I don't think it will ever be the same again. I have been there once, and it truely is one of America's most treasured cities. I hope the spirit of New Orleans will shine through in the end, and that one day this disaster will be but a distant memory.