Monday, August 11, 2008

a slight dilemma - my little guilt trip.

When Doug and I decided to move to Anthem, I got in contact with several property management companies. One of them was VERY helpful and found an entire list of properites with our criteria. When Doug came out to view them, the husband and wife team of said property management took him around the entire town, and showed him a dozen or so houses as well as the local ammenities. This took HOURS out of their busy schedule, and probably cost them a small bundle's worth of gas.

The problem? We didn't really like any of the houses. I mean, we DID like them, but they just weren't really fit for us. The really nice ones were a little too big for us, and a little more then we wanted to spend. The house in my previous post was a waaaay better deal price-wise, and the floor plan was more "us". Unfortunately we are going through a different PM company. Soooooo, now I feel just a little guilty about not renting from the husband and wife team. I mean, what should I say? We've been e-mailing back and forth and I told her we were still in the process of deciding (because we haven't been approved yet for the house we really want). Last night she sent me an e-mail saying something like "I'm assuming you won't be renting from us, and that's just fine. Let me know if you need any help moving in, we can find people to lend a hand. Also, our kids are the same age, so if you want to set up a playdate, contact me". Okay, isn't she just the sweetest? I'm thinking I want to give her a little thank-you card with a gift certificate to a restaurant or something just to let her know how much we appreciated their time and effort. I mean, they really went above and beyond the duties of your average management company. I hope they're not too mad at us. I hate dealing with stuff like this.

4 comments:

Happily Ever After said...

She sounds like a super nice lady. I'm sure they realize that things happen and not everyone they show listings to will find something through them. I think a card and a small gift certificate sounds very thoughtful. Who knows, you could end up with a good friend out of it?

Anne/kq said...

That is really nice. You know what you can do that I bet they'd appreciate? Tell them, "I didn't find the perfect fit in any of your houses, but I really appreciate the time and attention you gave to us. I will be telling anyone I know who is looking to move out here about your company." And then do it. :)

Heather said...

Oh I think the thank you note and gift card is a great idea. They were nice but business is business and I'm sure they know that. That is the nature of their work.

HeRO5 (from bbc)

SuperP. said...

Tell them exactly what you told us. :) They'll understand and they'll appreciate the honesty and your acknowledgment of their work and your gratitude.