Friday, October 03, 2008

This just ruined my night.

Jared made a best friend. He lives a couple of streets over, they ride the same bus, and they are in the same class at school. This kid's name is Alex. For the past two weeks, the boys have been inseparable. Alex either comes here, or Jared goes over there. This week, however, I noticed the visits and playdates have stopped. I really didn't think anything of it until last night when Jared brought up something that made me feel like I was punched in the stomach. Alex has apparently been pushing Jared out of their little circle of friends at school. Alex will literally hold out his arm and physically try and stop Jared from playing with them at recess. Jared will invite him over to the house, and Alex will say things like "I don't want to go to your house. It's dumb." Hello! We have the Wii, and those boys have a BLAST playing it in my living room. You know how I know? Because they scream so dang loud I can't hear my dictation, and I yell at them to keep it down. What does he mean our house is dumb? I served him fruit snacks and a Capri Sun for crying out loud!! Jared even let him play with his new Bionacle. Ugh. I am so upset about this. I'm almost more upset that Jared lets Alex tell him who he can and who he can't play with. Jared is so NOT a passive person, and I want him to assert himself, but he won't with Alex. When Alex "prevents" him from playing with the group at recess, Jared walks away and sits by himself. When Alex tells Jared he can't sit next to him at lunch, Jared leaves and sits by himself. That is just SO SAD. Jared was telling me this last night, and I literally had to drag it out of him. When he admitted everything that was going on, I could see tears welling up behind his eyes. I asked him if Alex's behavior was hurting his feelings, and told him he could tell me if it did. He turned away, wiped his eyes and said "no mom. I don't care." That killed me. I just wanted to scoop him up and hold him and tell him I was so sorry his best friend was being so mean. I wanted to cry with him, and I wanted to fix it. Instead, I told him it was important to not let Alex treat him that way. I told him to stick up for himself, and play with whomever he wants to play with . I told him Alex is NOT his boss, and cannot prevent him from playing with other kids in the group. I'm so sad for him. I have to have faith that things will work out, and that Alex is just going through some bratty phase. Maybe if Jared doesn't tolerate this kind of behavior, Alex won't do it anymore. Or, at least that's what I'm hoping. Growing up is so hard. I thought this stuff only happened to girls.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

These same things were going on with Justinin 4th and 5th grade. I know what poor Jared is going through. I think you did the right thing by telling Jared what you did. Nope, it's not just a girl thing!

Anonymous said...

ugh, guess I should check before I post! LOL It should say Justin.

Mindy said...

Um okay that just broke my heart. What a little punk. Stuff like this really makes me want to keep my kids in a little bubble.

Carrie said...

I know, right Mindy? I hate this.

cyndi said...

do you not remember what our mom's had us do?. . . there is always the special play date with the mom then the talk, but I thik we were older for those. I know with Brayden last year his BF wasn't his BF for like 2 weeks Brayden finally told me it was because they had a fight about. Star Wars. So I called the Mom we had a talk and laugh about how silly kids are. Then the next day we talked with the boys together and then it was fine. Sometimes , I think, they need help learning how to work things out. Plus I HATE when I find out one of my kids is being bratty-- wouldn't you want to know, Especially when you still have an influence over them! Okay enough of my soap box. Good LUck

Lacey said...

I have a very mature solution to this problem: Want me to beat 'im up?

:P

Anonymous said...

I feel so awful for Jared! That is not fun to experience! My little brother had someone that acted the same way toward him in elementary and jr. high. They were friends and then suddenly this boy turned into a brat and was so mean to my little brother.
Oddly enough, at the end of Jr. High, he decided to be friends with my brother and they were really good friends all through high school.
Boys are definitely not immune from this type of behavior. I hope that things can get back to normal for Jared soon! Kids need friends!

Heather said...

Ugh, I went through this last year with my eight year old, Caleb. It is the worst feeling ever to see your child get treated that way!!! This kid was an annoying bossy bully from the word go but I thought they would be alright and he was the only one that lived near us. We've learned now to nip the friend thing immediately if we here one comment that we don't like. I'm so sad for your little Jared :( I totally know what you're going through.