Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Just thinking out loud

I've come to the realization that Jared needs an outlet. Being stuck in here with me all day doesn't help his development one bit, not to mention I'm loosing my sanity. I've posted before on how I feel being trapped here all day with no outlet, no hobbies, not even a group of friends to get together with once a week. Well, okay, Billy and Mandi hang out with us quite alot. But I'm talking about a women's group who all get together and play poker, or scrapbook, or some other thing to get away from our monotonous life once and a while. Anyway, I'm getting off topic.

I want to enroll Jared in preschool a couple days a week so he can get out of this house and play with other hoodlums his own age. I think part of his defiance right now is boredom. Why wouldn't he be bored? He's not being stimulated. He does the same things day in and day out. Sure, I read to him, paint with him, take him outside, and all that good stuff, but I just don't think it's enough. Before the baby I used to pretty much focus my attention on him all day. I sat down with him more and actually taught him things, like the alphabet, recognizing letters, counting, and teaching him songs. Now I just don't seem to have as much time to do those kinds of things, or the patience. Now, I just turn on Sesame Street and let the darn TV teach my kid the things I'm supposed to. What's wrong with me anyway? Does that make me a bad mother? Hmmm, maybe not a BAD mother, just one who is a little worn thin, and a little frazzled. I think Jared would love preschool. Love, love love it. I hope we can afford it. I'm going to look into it and you know what? I'm going to do anything it takes to get him in, even if it's just a couple days a week for a few hours. I could use the break.