Wednesday, April 20, 2005

reunited

There's nothing like the feeling of getting in touch with an old friend. Cyndi was my best friend through grade school and middle school. We were inseparable. We had those heart necklaces that were broken in half that had the words "best friends" engraved on them. She wore one half, and I wore the other. We were two peas in a pod, a dynamic duo, we were like sisters. She played the violin, I played the piano. We once played a Bach duet in a talent show. We didn't win.

We fought like all kids did, over stupid stuff. We were jealous and petty at times, but at the core we were true friends. We hung out every day in school, after school, at church, and talked on the phone.

One day in the summer between 8th and 9th grade, Cyndi came over to visit. I was in the backyard, and she came out to tell me the news. She was moving to Utah in a matter of weeks. When those words came out of her mouth, I felt as though someone had punched me in the stomach. My best friend was leaving me, and there was nothing I could do about it. I don't remember excatly what I said, but I remember wanting to cry. I was devastated. I vowed I would never forget her, or loose touch with her. The last day I saw her, we said our goodbyes. I tried to act casually, like it didn't matter so much, like it wasn't happening. It didn't hit me that she was actually gone until a week later. I felt so alone at that moment. Cyndi wasn't there to share my secrets. She wasn't there to gossip, or stuff bras with, or dance to "cool" music on the radio. (I think the Jets were big back then, along with New Edition)

Freshman year sucked. My "friend" Natasha was the only girl I hung out with at lunch and afterschool. But she was cruel, and played mean jokes on me. I lied to myself, by thinking I actually liked her, and trusted her. She was all I had. Donnie was popular, and although I had known her as long as I had known Cyndi, she had her own friends. There wasn't really any room for me. I was a band nerd, after all. April went to a different high school back then. I felt so, so alone.

Eventually, I did make friends, and Natasha moved away. Sophomore year was a bit easier. Ape was there, and i had a best friend again. Thank god for her during those gruling high school years. Cyndi and I wrote letters back and forth. She sent pictures, and I could see she was turning into a beautiful young woman.

Junior and Senior year were fabulous. Christa came into my life, and we became wonderful life long best friends. I don't know what I'd do without her. Cyndi and I still kept in touch on a regular basis. I still missed her though, and I was longing to see her again.

After graduation, Cyndi and I lost touch. It's been 9 years since I received a letter from her, with the exception of a wedding invitaion I received 6 years ago. I have wondered about her all this time. I have had dreams of reuniting with her, only to wake up disappointed, knowing I probably never would. I missed my old friend, and I wondered where life had taken her.

This afternoon, a thought, or prompting entered my mind. I googled Superpages, and found her parent's phone number. There it was, staring at me. I was shaking as I picked up the phone to make that call. I probably sounded like a bumbling idiot to her mom, but she was excited to hear from me. She asked where I was living, and I told her. To my complete surprise, Cyndi moved back to California, and now lives in Bakersfield, just an hour and a half away. I couldn't believe my ears. I finally made the call to Cyndi, who was pretty surprised to hear from me. She's the same old Cyndi that I missed for so long. We talked for probably an hour, and decided to get together in a few weeks. As we talked, I remembered why we were friends in the first place. We clicked so well, I could have talked for hours. But alas, my Jared monster decided to color on Doug's laptop. It was time to go.

I can't wait to meet up with my old friend again, and reminisce about the past. About Jeff Blakeborough, about Jeremiah Jackson, and Randy Kinder. Those were the good ol' days, when we sewed our own bras because we could. (well I did anyway. Hey, I was desperate people!) Ahh, the distant memories of my youth are ones I will cherish forever, and some of the fondest of those memories are the days I spent with my dear friend, Cyndi.