Monday, May 19, 2008

overcoming

Yesterday afternoon we went to lunch with a couple of friends of ours. Actually, she cuts Doug's hair, and she's been doing it since he was a teenager. She's the only one he lets call him "Dougie". (It's really cute actually, since she has a pretty thick German accent)So before we ordered our lunches, the server took drink orders. You should have seen the looks I got when I ordered Pepsi instead of a margarita. It's like everything in the room stopped, and I think Doug actually choked on his chips and salsa. He looks around the table and says in complete shock "That's the first time Carrie hasn't ordered a margarita at a mexican restaruant." So then, of course the questions start flowing, and they want to know WHY IN THE WORLD would I order a pepsi instead of a nice cool, salty margarita? I honestly didn't know what to say. I totally copped out and said it was too early to be drinking. But, that didn't really fly, because anyone who knows me knows I'll find any excuse to drink, regardless of the hour. Luckily though they dropped the subject, or maybe I changed the subject. I know it'll happen again, it's just a matter of time....until the next time we eat out and I order a pepsi instead of whatever drink I normally get at whatever restaruant we happen to be at. If I tell Doug now that I've stopped drinking (which should be self-evident because of the lack of abundant empty wine bottles) he'll just laugh in my face. So....maybe I'll just let it be, and he'll eventually realize I kicked the habit. It's been almost 2 months now, and honestly I'm not missing it as much as I thought I would. I mean, don't get me wrong, I DO think about it every once and a while at the end of a long day, and remember how nice it used to be to sit and sip at a lucious heavenly Merlot and let all my cares melt away. But I also know it's not worth it. As great as it was to feel nothing while drinking, it's not worth the guilt I used to feel the next morning. I can do this. I can.

4 comments:

kelara said...

Yes, you can. She calls him Dougie? hahahaha

Nana Scott XOXO said...

You can do this! You're so awesome, Carrie.

Marie B. said...

Ruby. I love ya! You are the coolest.

Stacey said...

Oh Ruby, you are totally doing this, and doing a great job!! As good as that margarita would be, the satisfaction and pride that you feel when the moment passes and you know you haven't given in is even better (speaking from experience :) ).