Friday, September 19, 2008

It's like I'm dating all over again.

My friend Marie says I have to put myself out there, insecurities and all, and be confident about who I am. She says I need to reach out, and not to be afraid to make connections with people; and that sometimes making new friends is like dating. Some people will connect with you, and others won't. Well, I'm putting myself out there. I'm doing it.

Remember Alegra ? She's with the property management company I called when we lived in CA. She and her husband took Doug all over Anthem to look at homes and we didn't choose any of them. We went with a different pm company. Well, the first week we moved here, we actually ran into them at the park. I really kind of wanted to hide, but of course they recognized Doug and struck up an conversation with him. He introduces me to them, and Alegra puts my phone # in her phone because she wants to get together! They are honestly the nicest people ever. Since that meeting we've had 3 playdates and we're all going out to dinner together tomorrow night. She and I clicked immediately, and our girls are now great friends. Alegra also invited me to church on Sunday to hear her sing. I think we'll go this time, but I told her I was inactive LDS, at which point she gets a huge smile on her face and tells me she grew up in Salt Lake. Ha! She and I had an interesting and respectful religious discussion yesterday. She's very fond of Mormons and her best friends growing up were all LDS. She understands the "Mormon culture" perfectly and we had a great time joking about the "coke-drinkers" and the "non coke-drinkers". Anyway, I'm so glad I met up with her. I really think she and I will become great friends.

And THEN, I was asked to be in a book club! Several of the moms at the bustop and I talk in the mornings and afternoons. One of the ladies, named Evie, moved here from Washington 4 months ago and really misses her club. She asked if I'd like to be a part of her group if she gets one going. I told her I'd LOVE to! I'm really hoping Evie gets this started so I can get to know other moms in the neighborhood. This morning I actually asked two of the bustop moms out on a Starbucks coffee/bagel date for Tuesday morning. I was really nervous to ask, but I had Marie's words of advice ringing in my ears to put myself out there. Well, it worked, and we are meeting at 9 am. I can't believe I'm making friends! Yay!

8 comments:

Marie B. said...

I am so proud of you Carrie! Meeting people can be intimidating but thrilling too. It will only get easier and better. I am so glad you are putting yourself out there, You are too fantastic not to!

mushbelly said...

YAY Carrie! Good for you. Its totally worth it to put yourself out there. Sure, it can be scary - but friendships are SO important - and worth it! How did your coffee / bagel date go? Now I wanna move to Arizona so I can be your IRL friend too :)

Anonymous said...

Wahoo, that's awesome! You're going to make some really great friends, and it's just what you need -- to get out there and connect with other like-minded mamas.

<3

Lyns said...

YAY for you Carrie!! I'm totally taking yours/Marie's advice and gonna do it in my new ward to. You are AWESOME inspiration girl!

Mindy said...

Carrie, you already have tons of friends here in PHX, you just havent met us yet! We need to plan our next get together so we can all meet you!

Carrie said...

I know Mindy! Doug's going to be gone a couple of days next week and I was kind of hoping some of us could get together for lunch. I think I know you, Stacey, and KBM the best. I think it'd be too far for KBM, but maybe you, me, and Stacey could meet somewhere for lunch? I think that would be so fun!

Carrie said...

And Mush, I want you to move here too!

Mindy said...

Yes!! Lets do it!