Monday, March 21, 2005

Nostalgia

Yesterday was a great day, and I'm in a great mood. Well, okay, I don't know about great, so let's just say good. But good is better then bad, or bored, so I will defiantly take good.

I had a very yummy Mexican lunch with my girls yesterday, and it is defiantly about damn time too. I live two hours away from my family and friends, so my visits are sometimes few and far between. I wish we had more time though, just to laugh and reminisce, maybe get a little silly from the margaritas. It's harder to do those "adult" things though when you have nursing babies to tend to. But it was fun nonetheless, and it was great to get out. AND, the food was damn good. I gorged myself on chips and salsa and ended up regretting it last night, but who cares? It was worth it.

April came out on Friday and brought her two little ones. She ended up spending the night because it started raining pretty good in the late afternoon. We had a great time. We kicked back a bottle of wine and actually did get just a little toasty. You know, that point where everything just seems funny, and things just seem more carefree? I think the stick was removed from my ass for a moment. Fun times. Fun times. In the old days, April and I used to polish off a bottle of Arbor Mist, (the big bottle) and eat cheap cheese and crackers and smoke cigarettes in her driveway. We were some silly kids back then. We'd get drunk and talk about life, love, and aliens. Yes, aliens. It was our thing. Those were the days, huh Ape?

Christa and I were some crazy cats too. Once when we were 18 we got some bum to buy us some Stawberry Hill. Then we went way up into the hills (no, we didn't invite the bum) at like 11:00 at night to drink. I guess we thought we were cool, being underage and all. So there we stood, among the coyotes and snakes, and god knows what else, and drank our nasty Strawberry Hill. Just as we were getting back into my car, a pair of headlights came straight for us. I think I tossed my bottle down the hill, and Christa put hers at her feet in the car. As the headlights came closer, we realized it was a COP CAR. Holy crap. We were scared SHITLESS. So there's Christa, sitting in the car with an open bottle of alcohol at her feet, and the door was wide open. So if at anytime he decided he wanted to go talk to Christa, he would have spotted it. So the cop comes up to me and asks what the hell we are doing up in the hills of our town, in the middle of nowhere. I just said the first thing that popped into my head which was " we are on the way to her house , and she had to pee and couldn't hold it. So I drove up here so she could pee, because we couldn't find any gas stations anywhere. We were just about to leave when you pulled up." I. was. sweating. bullets. He looked around and looked at the car with Christa inside, who was probably shitting herself. Thank god he didn't approach the car. Finally he said " well, it's not safe for you two to be up here and you can follow me out". Oh my god. He actually believed me. We just got away with it! I think Christa and I learned a lesson that night because we NEVER did that again. I don't know why we thought drinking was so cool. I suppose all kids do though.

Sometimes on a cool summer evening, just as the sun is setting and the breeze blows across my face, I reminisce of the old days, when we were young , without a care in the world. We were alive and floating like a feather through life, and we were incredibly, incredibly STUPID.

2 comments:

Daph said...

Oh my GOD you have me laughing so hard right now.

Yeah, we were pretty damn stupid. But we didn't know any better, and we sure had fun, didn't we?

Let's just hope that our daughters aren't anywhere CLOSE to being as reckless as we were, LOL!

SuperP. said...

That was a great post! I could just see it! Nice to read you again, too.

"So there we stood, among the coyotes and snakes, and god knows what else, and drank our nasty Strawberry Hill." - Ahh these choice words brought laughter to my lips.

And "We were alive and floating like a feather through life, and we were incredibly, incredibly STUPID." Just sums it all up.

Great post. Now I miss home and gravel roads and bottles of liquor. I bet you girls were a riot to hang out with, then and now.