Monday, May 02, 2005

bone to pick

I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to government and politics. But I will tell you one thing that really upsets me. The middle class of people of this country get the shaft, plain and simple.

Why is it I can't afford to put Jared in preschool because it will cost us an extra $400 a month? (just for part time). Four hundred freaking dollars a month for 3 days a week, three hours a day. THAT, is incredibly ridiculous. We don't have 400 extra bucks a month just laying around so Jared can learn repetitive annoying songs and make new friends. After calling around for an hour in hopes of finding SOMETHING affordable, I came across the add for Headstart. It's a preschool program that's completely FREE!! After speaking with the receptionist for about 15 minutes, she finally drops the bomb on me. You have to QUALIFY. And, lo and behold just because it's my dumb ass luck, we don't, and headstart is only for those on gov assistance.

Sooooo, if you sit on your ass all day picking your nose, you get free food, free health care, free preschool, and monthly checks to buy all the crack, uh I mean necessities you need. BUT, if you get your ass up every day and make an honest living, you cant afford shit. (unless you happen to make an assload of money of course)

Look, I have been on government assistance before people. Doug was unemployed for a freaking year, during which time I got pregnant. Yes, I had free health care, and yes, we received unemployment checks from the government twice a month. Thank god for that. I'm not an ungrateful bitch. All I'm saying is, to me it just doesn't make sense.

Why does the middle class get the short end of the stick? I'm all for the government helping those in need, IF needed. But, why are child and health care so costly? Why hasn't anyone fixed this yet?

Just to let you all know who may be curious, I did find a preschool for Jared. My sister in law has a friend who does it in her home for $85 a month. Can't beat it. We are going to check it out this week.