Friday, June 13, 2008

I just ate a big ol' spoonful of my own words.

Yeah, I do that sometimes. Jared just spent half the day playing over at Nathan's house. He's the kid from baseball who told Jared he wasn't his friend. We met this morning at the donut shop, as it's Friday and it's the usual hangout for the baseball kids.

I purposefully sat at the same table Nate was sitting, and at first Jared tried to sit at a different table all by himself. I knew he'd do that. So, I MADE him sit next to me. I figured once the boys struck up a conversation, they'd be fine. Nate's going into second grade while Jared's going into first. Jared's just slightly bigger than Nathan, so Nathan assumed Jared was going into second as well. When Jared told him he just finished Kindergarten Nate pipes up, "you mean they held you back?". I said "nope, in fact Jared's one of the smartest in his class". This must have really impressed Nate because his eyes got really big and said "you ARE Jared? That's cool." Jared still didn't say much, so I brought up video games. Yes, I was trying to bribe him into being friends with Jared. So what? Anyway, once I brought up the Wii, they were both completely interested in the other...especially once Nathan heard how awesome Jared is at Guitar Hero. The next thing I knew, Nathan was begging his mom to have Jared over. He even wanted to ride in the backseat of our car. (hehe!) The two had a wonderful afternoon together which started out with watergun fights, and ended up dunking buckets of water onto each others heads. Not really my idea of fun, but to a 6 and 7 year old in 95 degree weather, it was the best!

Jared rode home soaked, exhausted, and completely content. It was really great to see.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

LOL! Way to go to get the boys to be friends. Thats pretty cool.

Stacey said...

Ahh Ruby, that's great! What a good mom you are. Just watch they'll probably be inseparable now.

Lacey said...

I don't think YOU ate your words, I think that kid did! LOL!! That's awesome.